Monday 14 September 2009

Elysambre Spangles Glitter (Gold)


Review of Elysambre Spangles Glitter (Gold)
By Caroline S.

My first thought when I set eyes on this stunning little Elysambre Spangles Glitter (Gold) pot with its clear square base and circular lid, was that it looked like something from one of the designer make up ranges in a department store. It really is a lovely, classy looking container and I'll be the first to admit that I am a sucker for pretty packaging!

Turning it over, the Elysambre product can be seen through the base - and my first thought was that it was a bronzing powder - as it appears to be a very highly pigmented coppery-bronze colour. Now, as a pale-skinned redhead, bronzing powder is not always my friend so, with some trepidation, I opened the lid.

I used a small, stiff eye brush and found that it picked up a good amount of powder quite easily. I dabbed the Elysambre Gold Glitter onto my bare eyelid expecting to be confronted with a bright copper eye. However, to my surprise, I discovered that it is actually not at all as pigmented as it first appears and does not give a "flat" sweep of colour.

The sparkles themselves are larger than you would expect and incredibly reflective - they are also a beautiful, buttery gold and not orange at all. I found that no matter how much of the Elysambre Gold Spangles I packed on to my eyes, the result was still that of a bare eyelid with glittery spangles which is much nicer and far more wearable than an overload of plain gold pigment.

I must be honest and say that there was quite a lot of "fallout" and I would really recommend either a generous dusting of loose powder on your cheeks OR holding a tissue to your cheeks when applying to the eyes.

Once on the skin though, the staying power is fantastic and this makes it incredibly versatile. I found that I could use this Elysambre Spangles Gold glitter over my normal eyeshadow with no problems at all - it added sparkle without affecting base colour. I successfully wore it with green, lilac and brown eyeshadows and it stayed on all day. In fact, if anything, I had a little difficulty removing it all at night and still found bits on my pillow the next day!

For use on body and décolletage it is equally wonderful. I mixed some of the powder with a little light body lotion to give a sparkle without looking over-glittery. It looked fabulous on my pale skin and I imagine it would look even better on darker skin tones or with a tan.

Being completely honest, this product is for people who want glitter and not shimmer. The particles are large and very reflective - but they somehow manage to look incredibly expensive as they have the "cleanest" reflection of any glitter I have ever used. They are bright and rich-toned particles and definitely look like grown-up designer make up, rather than something out of a child's play kit.

Even with my sensitive skin, this glitter was comfortable to wear and did not irritate my eyes, body or face in the least. One Elysambre Gold Glitter pot will last a long, long time and I was genuinely surprised by how much I liked the product.

I would highly recommend this to anyone who likes a bit of glamour and glitz in their make-up kit!

Elysambre Spangles Glitter (Gold) (£10.28), and other Elysambre products can be found at naturisimo.com